Gynecomastia is the phenomenon related to enlargement of breast in the male. It is embarrassing for men as they look awkward and this result in poor self-esteem. This can occur during any stage of life be it infancy, puberty or adulthood. Thus, it is not related to any particular age. It is generally bilateral that is, it simultaneously affects both the breasts. However, it can be unilateral sometimes. The enlargement is centered around the nipples of male breasts.
FACTORS THAT LEAD TO GYNECOMASTIA
- Hormone levels: the human body is comprised of both estrogen(female hormone) and androgen(male hormone). The composition of androgen is more among males. However, those suffering from gynecomastia have a higher presence of estrogen in their bodies.
- Medicines and drugs: this can also be caused due to the side-effect of intake of some medicines or drugs such as antibiotics, anti-anxiety medicines, tea tree oil, estrogen which can be present in soy too, drugs for heartburn, narcotic drugs or corticosteroids and anabolic steroids.
- Medical illness or symptoms: it can also occur due to some medical conditions or medical symptoms. For example chronic kidney failure, obesity, low testosterone levels, hyperthyroidism or cirrhosis of the lever.
- It is very important to note that gynecomastia is not the same as the heavy breasts that appear in obese males. That is because of fat deposits.
- Similarly, it is not the same as breast cancer too. Breast cancer can affect one of the breasts and is not centered on the nipples.
TREATMENTS FOR GYNECOMASTIA
There is not any such best treatment for this issue as it is not a major issue and the treatments are not found to be very successful too. Still, the available ones are listed below.
- The gynecomastia that affects the infant children usually overcomes on its own with the growth of the male child as the level of hormones gets balanced on its own.
- Medication: though medication is not found to be really effective for treating gynecomastia, some of the medical treatments that can help in doing the same are as follows
- It can be cured with the replacement of testosterone among those adult males who have a lower presence of testosterone in them. But it is not effective for those who have normal male hormones in their bodies.
- Clomiphene is a medicine which can cure this phenomenon with a continuous usage of 6 months.
- Surgery: when the medicines fail to reciprocate gynecomastia in 12 months, Gynecomastia surgery is the available option for treating it. Breast reduction surgery known as reduction mammoplasty is useful when this persists for too long.
PREVENTION OF GYNECOMASTIA
The gynecomastia which occurs either due to hormonal imbalances during the growth stage or due to aging cannot be prevented. Gynecomastia that is caused by medicines can be prevented only when the disease for which medicine is being used is controlled.
All in all, gynecomastia is not a disease or issue which has major detrimental consequences. The only thing that happens due to this is the change in the appearance of men. That is also for a limited period of time as this condition mostly reverses on its own within a period of 6 to 12 months.