Causes of Swine Flu and Prevention Measures
Swine flu or H1N1 virus was not a known disease until 2009 when it affected a large number of people for the first time. World Health Organization also declared it as a global pandemic that year. In India, thousands of cases have been reported in the past. In today’s time too, this disease is no less than a fatal blow to lives.
While it is quite difficult to manage this disease, proper awareness can turn the tables. For this, people need to learn more about the virus and how can they prevent it and lead a healthy life. Interestingly, Dettol launched a campaign to spread awareness about swine flu in the year 2009, when the disease became an influenza pandemic. Hand washing through Dettol Hand Wash notably promoted healthy hygiene by killing 100 illness-causing germs.
This article too aims to spread awareness about swine flu and thus presenting causes of swine flu and its prevention measures. If you wish to protect yourself and your loved ones from this terrible pandemic, read till the end.
Causes of Swine Flu
Swine flu usually affects pigs. However, its H1N1 virus can infect humans too. As it is a highly contagious infection, it can spread from person to person quickly. Therefore, the swine flu outbreak occurred quite many times since 2009.
Interestingly, swine flu doesn’t transmit from animal to person; thus, one can eat properly cooked pork products without catching the virus. Here are some ways swine flu can spread among people:
- Touching eyes or nose with dirty hands
Saliva and mucus particles are major carriers that spread this disease. This is why it is important to clean your hands with Dettol Hand Wash often. One can also use Dettol Hand Sanitizer in case water and soap are not available.
How to Prevent Swine Flu?
Everyone knows that prevention is better than cure and the same case goes on with swine flu. Thus, after reading about the causes of swine flu, it’s time to know about the common ways through which you can prevent the disease and also ensure that it doesn’t spread to your loved ones:
- Adopt Healthy Hand Hygiene: Frequently washing hands with Dettol Hand Wash can protect you against harmful germs including the H1N1 virus. For proper hand wash, use warm water and thoroughly rinse the lather for at least 15 to 30 seconds to get the best results. Once you rinse your hands with water, use a clean paper towel to dry your hands.
- Cover Mouth and Nose While Sneezing and Coughing: As mentioned before, saliva and mucus can spread the virus easily. Thus, always cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough.
- Avoid Crowded Places: During the flu season, this disease spreads quickly from person to person. Thus, avoid crowded places like public transport, malls and markets. In case you do travel, wear a mask and carry Dettol Hand Sanitizer to ensure protection against germs.
- Clean the House: Swine Flu virus usually lingers on objects like doorknobs, computer keyboard, telephone and kitchen slab. Thus, regularly clean your home using a disinfectant and make it safe and hygienic for your family.
- Stay at Home When You’re Ill: Prevention is not just about saving yourself from the disease but also ensuring that you don’t spread it to others. Thus, when you experience symptoms of swine flu, try to stay at home and avoid contact with others.
Done reading? Well, then you know quite a lot about swine flu. In case you wish to know more about it, consult a doctor soon and lead a healthy life.